I can’t think of much that beats sipping a spicy margarita on the beach in Mexico, unless it’s a destination wedding there! You’re going to have a hard time choosing where you want to get married after I tell you all about these top Mexico wedding destinations with some of my fav venues. Grab a Modelo to get in the mood and then dive in!
1. Cabo San Lucas & San Jose del Cabo
My expert opinion? This is the best place on the planet you could choose for your destination wedding in Mexico! There are beaches, there are mountains, and there is the desert. It has a bit of it all, so you don’t have to choose! Let me take you on a little tour of some of my favorite venues you don’t want to sleep on:
- Acre Baja. I have two words for you: treehouse hotel. Don’t be misled, this place is boutique, but you can sleep up among the palm trees after your last dance in the mango orchard. Bonus? This place can host weddings from intimate gatherings for 20 up to 500 guests!
- Flora Farms. This 25-acre working farm offers a gorgeous greenhouse style experience filled with plant-based spa treatments, intimate potting sheds and herb gardens, and lots of that beautiful, bright sun you’ve come to Mexico for.
- The One & Only Palmilla. There are multiple luxury options for your ceremony and reception from beachfront, to the classic Mexican chapel that you can arrive at in a horse drawn carriage!
- Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal. Nestled into the cliffs overlooking the ocean, it’s the perfect romantic wedding destination that feels a world away with all the benefits of being at a full resort!
- Baja Luna. This gorgeous boutique venue is elegant, and caters (pun intended) to foodies looking for custom farm-to-table reception experiences. With multiple options on site there is no shortage of aesthetically pleasing spots to say your vows before you celebrate into the night.
- Esperanza, Auberge Resorts Collection. The only private beach resort in Los Cabos, and for those celebrations welcoming all ages, they are family friendly as well! Host an intimate elopement at a private villa, up to 4000 square feet, or up on the cliff top with sweeping views of the Sea of Cortez. My favorite ceremony spot is between the palm trees overlooking both the pool and ocean. Did I mention it’s the one and only private beach resort in the area? It’s worth saying twice.
Tulum is one of the hottest spots in Mexico, and it’ll make the perfect spot for your destination wedding if you want to go for a full buyout of a boutique hotel for a wedding weekend with only your VIPs. I know some badass spots there that are a dream to head to for your wedding and honeymoon, since you won’t want to leave this dreamy destination:
- Casa Malca. The outdoor courtyard is a stunning space featuring a raw stone wall for your ceremony backdrop. My fav funky details at this spot are the wedding dress curtains, and their couch swings! Perfect for cuddling up with your person. Toast to forever at your reception under the beautifully lit palm trees, and spend your first day as a married pair getting a couple’s massage at the spa.
- 16 Tulum. This place is fire for a wedding weekend for just you and your betrothed’s nearest and dearest. It’s totally tropical, with white on white everywhere so we can build your event from the sand up on a blank canvas. This is a one of a kind venue, you don’t want to sleep on. , If you’re reading this it’s your sign — let’s go!
- Kima Tulum. Described as a jungle farm, but I have never seen a farm like this! Upscale industrial chic spaces, with soft finishes for that high-end boutique hotel feel you know I love. Host the reception by the pool with floating candles surrounded by palms, and revel in the custom XO Moreau design using the canvas of the jungle as a backdrop.
3. San Miguel de Allende
This city is not to be missed! Featuring Spanish colonial era historical sites in old town, stunning classic architecture, a robust arts scene, and festivals that could be the perfect pre-wedding celebration ramping up the excitement heading into wedding day! This spot is fantastically convenient for Texan & Californian couples wanting to head south of the border. Some of my fav venues include:
- Casa Adela’s classic architecture with climbing floral vines, options for a poolside reception, and views overlooking the mountain valley make this a desirable and unique venue for a sun drenched Mexican destination wedding. Check out the list of curated adventures where you can float above the clouds in a hot air balloon, or explore the valley on horseback with your wedding party before the rehearsal dinner!
- Casa de Sierra Nevada is a heritage hotel in the heart of San Miguel de Allende. Host an intimate gathering all the way to the largest extravagant wedding you’ve been dreaming of. Not only is the venue gorg, but its gourmet catering and ultra-luxe in-room spa treatments make it stand out for a wedding day.
- Casa Hyder. This classic Mexican estate is idyllic for a wedding weekend (or week) that I just can’t get enough of. Boasting 11 rooms for your guests to stay, the whole villa is richly decorated with art and sculpture that will have you feeling like you’re getting married at an immersive gallery curated to perfection.
4. Cancun & Riviera Maya
There are many reasons to marry in Cancun and the Riviera Maya: accessibility from the airport when you fly in, the sheer variety of luxury hotels and resorts to choose from, and gorgeous beaches to sink your toes into at the azure Caribbean Sea. Choose from the more traditional downtown area with classic architecture, or high rise luxury hotels along the beachfront. You don’t want to miss:
- Nizuc Cancun Resort and Spa. Whether you stay in an ocean suite steps from the beach, or a private villa that starts at 2,500 square feet, you’ll love their sleek, modern accommodations. There are countless spaces throughout the 29-acre property ready for your ceremony and reception on the expansive beach or beautiful terrace overlooking the ocean.
- Unico in Riviera Maya is an inspired and elevated space to celebrate your nuptials. From glamorous ballrooms with nods to literary inspiration to the Caribbean sea as a backdrop, or the Terraza Verde where they can host up to 800 surrounded by the lush natural beauty this area is known for.
- Villa la Hoya is another private residence that you can buy out for more flexibility and privacy than you’ll get at the big resorts. It boasts luxury and elegance, with the feeling of being a world away with your guests. Villa la Hoya can host up to 200 guests for the wedding, which can happen poolside, on the beach or indoors in an intimate comfortable lounge.
5. Todos Santos
This is the up and coming spot near Cabo to head to for your Mexican destination wedding experience with XO Moreau! Todos Santos is a growing town dating back to the 1700s, with many historic sites to explore around the oceanside village. There are music and art festivals to enjoy, and a historic home tour so you and your guests can immerse yourself in the experience! Check out my must-see venues for weddings in Todos Santos:
- Hotel San Cristobal. As they say “all good things are found at the end of a dirt road” and this is one you want to drive down! Named for the patron saint of travelers, this spot is intimate and built to compliment the natural beauty found all around. Say “I do” in the chapel or head to the antique abalone cannery ruins on the property.
- Villa Santa Cruz. This dreamy boutique hotel is right on the beach. Book a beautiful ocean view room, or go with their one-of-a-kind glamping right on the beach! Go for a hacienda style ceremony in the villa, or a woven aisle runner on the sand with the sea as your backdrop.
- Dūm is the palm tree of the Tebaida, sacred in ancient Egypt with its fruits offered traditionally at important ceremonies. Sounds like a venue named just for the special moments surrounding a wedding! Take over this restaurant with rustic boardwalks meandering through the trees with stunning cuisine that will leave your guests raving for years about the best destination wedding they’ve ever attended!
- Paradero Hotel has stunning architecture surrounded by a rich and varied landscape. Take a hike through the desert, looking out for Zantus hummingbirds, or along the coastal bluffs. Set your ceremony up with a backdrop of open fields, mountains, or the wide-open desert sky before your botanical amphitheater reception. Note that this venue is 18+ for all guests, so plan for an adult-only celebration if you’re headed to Paradero.
Let Me Plan Your Mexico Destination Dream Wedding
No need to choose from this list all on your own — that’s what XO Moreau is for! I will get to know the two of you and help you plan the Mexico destination wedding of your dreams at the perfect high-end hotel, villa, or beachfront overlooking the deep azure ocean.
Photo by Megan Noll Photography